Answering Your Most Frequently Asked Questions

Below, we've answered some of the most commonly posed general questions our office receives. If you have a question that is not listed, please feel free to contact us.

Where is the Courthouse?

There are two courthouse facilities in Iredell County. The main courthouse, the Iredell County Hall of Justice, is located at 221 East Water Street in Statesville. The Hall of Justice is part of a multi-building government complex which includes:

  • Hall of Justice
  • Iredell County Jail
  • Iredell County Sheriff's Department
  • Probation and Parole Offices
  • Iredell County Register of Deeds
  • Office of the District Attorney
  • Courthouse Annex Building

The Hall of Justice houses the Office of the Iredell County Clerk of Court where records and information about all traffic, criminal and civil court matters are stored, and where fines and court costs are paid. In addition to three courtrooms, the Courthouse Annex Building in Statesville contains the Office of the Register of Deeds and the Office of the District Attorney.

The region's other courthouse, Government Center South, is located at 610 East Center Avenue (the intersection of East Center Avenue and Statesville Avenue) in Mooresville. In addition to the courtroom where criminal and civil matters are tried in District Court and Magistrate's Court, Government Center South houses an office for the North Carolina Department of Community Corrections (probation), the Iredell County Register of Deeds, the Iredell County Health Department and the North Carolina Department of Environment, Health and Natural Resources (NCDEHNR).

Directions to Hall of Justice

From Mooresville, travel north on I-77 to Exit 50. Turn left onto Broad Street heading west. Take Broad Street to Tradd Street, and turn right. Turn right at the second light onto Water Street. The Hall of Justice and other government buildings will be on left.

Directions to Government Center South

From I-77 take exit 36. Head east on Highway 150 (River Highway) toward downtown Mooresville on Highway 150. At fork in road, bear right onto W. McLelland Avenue. Cross railroad track and turn left onto S. Main Street. Turn right onto E. Center Avenue. Proceed to the intersection of E. Center Avenue and Statesville Avenue. Government Center South will be on left.

What is Administrative Court?

Administrative Court represents the court system's entry point for most traffic tickets, as well as some misdemeanor criminal charges. In Iredell County, Administrative Court is held from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. every Wednesday. It is held in Mooresville on the first Wednesday of each month and in Statesville on the remaining Wednesdays.

Many minor traffic infractions can be resolved in Administrative Court. Other more serious charges, such as those related to a DWI and drugs, are handled in the District Criminal Court.

What is District Court?

District Court has jurisdiction over both civil and criminal matters. For criminal matters, District Court is where most misdemeanor and juvenile criminal matters are heard. Many felony charges are also screened here to determine whether they will be taken before the Grand Jury in Superior Court. There is no jury in criminal and juvenile matters in District Court, and all such matters are tried by a judge.

District Court also has jurisdiction over divorce, child custody and support, and other family law related matters, as well as civil matters where the amount in controversy is less than $25,000.00. Trial by a jury is available in many District Court civil matters.

What is Superior Court?

Superior Court also hears civil and criminal matters. For criminal matters, Superior Court has jurisdiction over all felony matters, as well as misdemeanors which have been appealed to Superior Court. In civil matters, the Superior Court has jurisdiction over all non-family law matters where the amount in controversy exceeds $25,000.00. A jury trial is available in Superior Court.

How long will court take?

The time allotted for a case depends on the type of court involved. Administrative Court extends from 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. and can be extremely crowded. The time spent standing in line or waiting in the courtroom for your case to be called can vary from minutes to several hours. In many cases, you will be waiting to set another court date which you will have to attend at another time. If you have retained and paid your lawyer, he or she can usually appear for you in Administrative Court without your attendance.

In most cases, District Criminal Court will require an all-day commitment on the day it is scheduled. District Criminal Court starts at 9:00 a.m. with the docket call, and continues through 5:00 p.m., unless the court’s business concludes earlier due to a short docket or special circumstances. Unless your lawyer has specifically excused you from attending, you must be present for District Criminal Court and must answer when the docket is called. Failure to do so may result in an arrest warrant, plus you could forfeit any bail bond posted. Your actual time in court will vary depending upon which court you are in, how many cases are on the docket, the type of case you have, the type of disposition you hope to obtain, the availability of the witnesses and arresting officer, and other variables which make accurate estimates of your time commitment extremely difficult.

Superior Court sessions typically run one week in length, although there are occasional two-week sessions throughout the year. The sessions begin at 10:00 a.m. on Mondays when the docket is called. In civil matters, your lawyer will tell you when you need to attend court. In criminal matters, unless your lawyer has excused your attendance in writing, you MUST be present at the docket call to avoid being arrested and forfeiting your bail bond. Your case is subject to being called for trial or hearing at anytime during the session. Some judges will allow defendants who have lawyers to be on "stand-by" during the session. No one except your lawyer, the district attorney or the judge can place you on stand-by, and some judges will not permit this. If you are placed on stand-by, you must be accessible by phone immediately and at all times during the session, and you should be no more than one hour away from court. If you are NOT placed on stand-by, you must be present in court at all times when the court is in session.

In Superior Court civil matters, court sessions are usually one week long. Motions are heard on Monday mornings and trials (either before a judge or a jury) start on Monday afternoons and continue to the end of the week.

Why does my case get postponed?

Frequently, cases will be postponed (or "continued") one or more times before being resolved. Continuances depend on the number of cases on the docket, the age of your case, the seriousness of your offense, the availability of officers, witnesses and lawyers, whether your case is for trial or for a negotiated plea, and other factors which may arise. In some circumstances, certain types of criminal court matters, such as DWIs, can take more than one year to be resolved.